2021 Photo Contest
Over the last few years, ArcticNet has maintained a collection of photographs highlighting the spectacular beauty of the polar regions, and featuring the scientific research, landscapes, wildlife, and northern communities. With a growing collection of stunning images, the ArcticNet’s Polar Photography Gallery is now a resource for educational, media and other research programs. It is committed to communicating Arctic and Antarctic knowledge to a diverse international audience and to preserving a legacy of iconic and accessible imagery for future generations.
The ASM2021 Photo Contest is a fantastic opportunity for Arctic researchers, students, partners and collaborators to share their dynamic and captivating photos of the circum-Arctic, its peoples, communities, landscapes, plants, wildlife and research activities. $1750 CAD in cash prizes will be awarded.
The Photo Contest is open to all members of the international Arctic research community and their collaborators;
- Entrants must be willing to sign the Photographer-ArcticNet agreement form;
- Contestants must be at least 18 years of age;
- Professional photographers and employees of the ArcticNet Administrative Centre are not eligible.
- Contestants must be the proprietors of their submissions;
- We will accept up to five (5) photos per contestant. Photos must be submitted in one of the following categories:
- Peoples and Communities
- Research Activities
Please specify the category for each photo submitted.
- Submissions must consist of your highest resolution digital photos in .JPG or .PNG format;
- File names must include the contestant’s first and last name (e.g., firstname_lastname1.jpg);
- Submissions must be accompanied by a separate descriptive caption for each photo, including the location, date taken and name of any person appearing in the photograph;
- All entries must be accompanied by a signed Photographer-ArcticNet agreement form;
- Any entry that depicts a recognizable person must be accompanied by a Model release form.
- Photos and applicable forms must be submitted by email to Claude Levesque (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Photos must be submitted before Wednesday, November 10, 2021.
Entries will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, artistic merit and other criteria. The judging panel will be composed of two ArcticNet employees and at least one independent professional photographer.
- Best Photo- Artistic merit and originality (All categories): 500$
- Best Photo- People and Communities: 250$
- Best Photo- Landscape: 250$
- Best Photo- Plants: 250$
- Best Photo- Wildlife: 250$
- Best Photo- Research Activities: 250$